Protective Injunctions

Clerk's Role for Restraining Orders video

Cartoon man with suitcase on left walking away; cartoon woman and children smiling on right Opens in new window

Fees & Service 

There is no fee for filing a domestic, stalking, repeat, dating, or sexual violence petition. The respondent must be served with a copy of the petition by the Sheriff of the county where the respondent is located. There is no fee for the Sheriff's service.

Clerk Assistance

The Clerk provides assistance to individuals seeking to file a domestic violence injunction (sometimes called a restraining order). A petition can be filed by anyone who is the victim of any act of domestic violence or who has reasonable cause to believe (s)he is in imminent danger of becoming the victim of an act of domestic violence. Become more familiar with domestic violence services and procedures by viewing videos of the Domestic Violence Petition and Hearing Process

Assistance Rules

The Clerk & Comptroller provides clerical processing assistance to individuals filing a case to petition the Court for an injunction for protection from domestic, stalking, repeat, dating, or sexual violence. The Clerk & Comptroller represents neither party in the action, and is prohibited by law from providing legal advice as to whether you should file.

However, the Clerk & Comptroller can be a valuable source of referral information for either party. Individuals are not required to hire an attorney to represent themselves, but may hire an attorney if they choose to do so.

Assistance with Forms

Blank forms and written instructions are available in the Clerk & Comptroller's Office or online at no charge. The petitioner may print the forms at home and complete without signing them, fill out the paperwork in our office, or take the forms for completion elsewhere. Forms also may be obtained at local domestic violence shelters. If you are unable to complete the forms yourself, it is recommended you bring someone who can do it for you.

The Clerk & Comptroller also will provide the petitioner with the appropriate forms for modifying or extending the injunction in the event this becomes necessary.

Protective Injunction Packets

Injunction packets are provided for your convenience. Print and complete the appropriate injunction packet to the best of your knowledge and bring it with you to the Clerk & Comptroller's Office unsigned. Access available forms